8:30 pm - 10:30 pm

Nov
8:30 pm - 10:30 pm

Nov
8:30 pm - 10:00 pm

emo Crafting and 2.5

More
2 years 9 months ago #12421

There have been a few people asking me if they should try crafting before the expansion over the last few weeks. Before 2.5 I was saying, if you are interested, go ahead and level them to 50 but don't worry about Gearing at 50. After 2.5 there is a very nice way to get some pretty decent gear, so I wanted to go ahead and write up some thoughts on Crafting.

Crafting!

General Thoughts:

It's dangerous to go alone, take this: ffxivcrafting.com/

Crafting in this game is skill based, player skill and character skills, so the better you understand the system at any given point means you will do better at those points as well. Every class has 3 additional skills that no one else gets, but most of them (all but 2) have only 1 or 2 useful skills to share. That being said, you still should probably level almost all of the crafting classes if you plan to do ANY crafting at 50.

The only exceptions are: Culinarian can stop at 37 unless you're planning on doing 3* stuff, and Armorer isn't actually needed at all unless you're going for 3* plus. I still recommend leveling all of them together.

1-25ish

You can level all the crafters from 1-25 by sitting in the guild and simply making stuff. The guild sells all the basic ingredients you need, and you can just sit there and craft. It's not the fastest, but it'll get you there. If you want to speed it up, do the Triple or Remote Delivery LeveQuests for your level, but I'll cover those later.

Make sure you update your gear every 5 levels or so, and that you strive to make HQ items every time. You get more experience based off of the quality bar of the item you're making, so while leveling it is ALWAYS worth it to push it as far as you can.

25ish-50

From here you need to hit up the Remote Delivery or the Triple Turn in Leves. Remote Delivery starts in a location on the map appropriate to your level, so QuarryMill at 25, Southern Coerthas at 30, Dragonhead at 35, Westbrim at 40 and St Conach in Mordona at 45. These will send you somewhere else to deliver your item, so register your free teleport at the start location, and a reduced teleport at the delivery location.

The other option is Triple Turn ins. These are in the main Cities, and require you to turn in 3 of a given item to complete it, but it also allows you to do that twice more, so a total of 9 items to turn in.

As to which one you should be doing, that's a personal preference and a decision that you need to balance. The Triple Turn ins are much more EXP/Levequest efficient, but are a massive time sink. The Remote Delivery Leves are quite good for Exp/Time, but end up soaking your Levequests fairly quickly and not making quite as much Gil as well.

As always make HQ items whenever possible.

Powerleveling Crafting

You can just BUY (or have crafted) HQ items for turn ins, but this doesn't teach you how to actually craft and can be quite expensive. Pushing the Levequests hard will get you levels quite fast. As a note when I was leveling everything all at once, along with the gatherers, I would be able gain 10 levels per class per 100 leve quests (roughly). I was doing the Remote Delivery.

Doing the Ixial Daily quests every day will help leveling crafts too. They give HUGE bonuses to exp which will boost your leveling. And they are important for the Best Offhand you can get for crafting.

You should also do the daily turn ins for your GC. These give you a bonus for HQ so pull out the stops there too.

At 50

Once you get to 50, you can truthfully stop and wait till the expansion. If you don't want to, you'll need to do a couple of things to get to the correct gear levels.

I recommend that you only worry about 1 class, and that you use Leatherworker to gear up just about everyone else. What are my reasons? Leatherworker gear ups don't require gathering classes at 50 OR Timed Nodes, so you're free to go at your own pace. If you have Miner up high enough to gather Black Alumen you're at a perfect spot, but it's not absolutely required, and that's only level 45ish for miner. The only other thing you need is Hippogryph Hide, which is super easy to farm outside of Revenant's Toll.

You'll need HQ 1* (or Artifact Gear) to get started. If you've leveled everyone up you should be able to make it for yourself fairly easily by using a rotation that is very similar to this macro:

/ac "Comfort Zone" <wait.2> (ToT)
/ac "Inner Quiet" <wait.2> (ToT)
/ac "Steady Hand II" <wait.2>
/ac "Manipulation" <wait.2>
/ac "Basic Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Basic Touch" <wait.3> (ToT)
/ac "Ingenuity II" <wait.2>
/ac "Innovation" <wait.2>
/ac "Great Strides" <wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <wait.3>
/ac "Careful Synthesis II"

Your CP is probably not high enough for that exactly, so use Hasty Touch instead of Basic Touch. The macro requires 338 CP to use all the way through, each Basic Touch is 18 CP, so if you replace all of them with Hasty Touch you can save 90 CP, so the requirement goes down to 248 CP, which should be fairly easy to get as a fresh 50. There are several points where you can easily use Tricks of the Trade to gain 20CP, which means you can use a Basic Touch later on in the rotation. Also note that this is for a 40 Durability craft, for higher DUra's you can use more CS2s to finish it off.

Of course a More than viable substitute for making the set yourself is to get someone else to, and at this point I suggest that heavily. So why do I share the Macro? You'll be making an absolute TON of HQ Hippogryph Leather, and, provided your Craftsmanship and Control is high enough, this Macro will HQ about 98% of the time with NQ ingredients.

Once you've got your Artifact HQs get the 1* HQ Jewlery and Belt made. These are moderately pricey since they require Demimateria to make, so if you see them for less than 200k (as of the writing of this) pick them up. And if you're rich enough, buy yourself HQ Artisan's Gear and ignore the rest of this post ;-).

At this point the gear you are looking for are the following:

Left Side:
xivdb.com/?item/2924
xivdb.com/?item/3233
xivdb.com/?item/3710
xivdb.com/?item/8447
xivdb.com/?item/3485
xivdb.com/?item/3931

Right Side:
xivdb.com/?item/2441
xivdb.com/?item/8451
xivdb.com/?item/8449
xivdb.com/?item/4173
xivdb.com/?item/6139 x2

Materia Melding

Here's the expensive part, and why I am recommending just doing Leatherworker for this part. To progress any further you HAVE to meld some materia to your gear. Luckily, you only have to do this one set, and you WILL NOT need to overmeld any gear that you'll be getting rid of soon. On the otherhand, I do recommend that you overmeld your jewlery and your belt, since they are endgame at this point and useful to all your classes.

So what numbers are you looking for? You need to be able to make the following items on your own:

xivdb.com/?item/5289/Hard-Hippogryph-Leather

347 Craftsmanship (more is MUCH MUCH better)

xivdb.com/?item/7616/Gryphonskin-Strap

347 Crafts, 318 Control (more is MUCH MUCH better)

The first set CAN be bought from the Marketboard, but is usually fairly expensive and you need 5 of them for the Mastery Book.
The second set you will be making a ton of them, on the order of 35, which take 70 Hippogryph Leather, and they ALL need to be HQ.

So how to meld? Go in as if you plan to Max meld the item, but only meld the 100% slots. With the Jewlery go ahead and overmeld it as much as you can afford to. For everything else, do a maximum of 1 overmeld, so you're not wasting money. You should also step down any level 4 Materias to Level 3s, since 1 point isn't going to make that much of difference at this point, and there are only 2 places to actually meld a level 4.

Once you're Melded you should exceed the number above, and also have a good amount of CP to make use of. If you've leveled a Culinarian, make yourself some HQ xivdb.com/?item/4721/Bouillabaisse to get a big bonus of CP, and then use the following Macros/Rotation:

2* 40 Durability 376 CP Minimum
Used for xivdb.com/?item/5289/Hard-Hippogryph-Leather and other similar Items
/ac "Comfort Zone" <wait.2>
/ac "Tricks of the Trade" <wait.3>
/ac "Inner Quiet" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Manipulation" <wait.2>

Here you check the CP you have left, and hit the right Touch based off of that

106+ Hasty Touch, 124+ Basic Touch, 138+ Standard Touch, 154+ Advanced Touch

/ac "Innovation" <wait.2>
/ac "Careful Synthesis II" <wait.3>

Again if you're short on CP, trade out Basic Touches for Hasty Touches. Also if you're doing these manually, and if you're starting out you should, any Excellent after the end of the first set should be used for a Byregot's provided you have 4 stacks of Inner Quiet.

2* 80 Dur 365 CP
Used for xivdb.com/?item/7616/Gryphonskin-Strap and other similar itmes
/ac "Comfort Zone" <wait.2> (ToT)
/ac "Inner Quiet" <wait.2> (ToT)
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac "Basic Touch" <wait.3> (ToT)
/ac "Steady Hand" <wait.2>
/ac "Advanced Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Innovation" <wait.5>

then

If you're short on CP, drop the Advanced Touch and then start dropping the Basic's for Hasty Touches. At any point after that last Steady Hand an Excellent pops up use it on Byregot's. You need 5 stacks of Inner Quiet and that Advanced Touch to garuntee 100% HQ for this. And you need to have about 370 Craftsmanship to get those 4 CS2s to give you enough progress. Also watch for Byregot's, it needs to never hit on a Poor (that's what that 5 second wait is for).

Once you're at this step, you may need to overmeld your offhand a bit, or get the Artisan's Off-Hand made for you. If you've been keeping up with the Ixial Dailies you should be getting Oaknots and be able to buy the 6 Sealant needed to make it. You'll need it eventually, so the earlier you get it the better.

Once you can make those HQ fairly easily you can start turning them in for Artisan gear from Talan in Mor Dona! Get the Glasses first (5 HQ), then the MH Weapon (10 HQ) then all the other pieces (20 HQ, or 5 Each). After that you can work on all the other classes to get their MH and OH weapons, which should be easy with your now superior gear.

What comes Next?
Up next is Desynth, Supra and Lucius weapons and the crafted Artisan Gear. With the gear you've got from above you can make 3* housing items and HQ 3* other items, which is where I am currently at with crafting. I'd suggest stopping here, as it will set you in a very nice place come the expansion.

Here's a look at the 3* Rotation: i.imgur.com/1MQpZwq.jpg

If you have any specific questions you need to ask, feel free to hit me up in game or on TS, I'll gladly share. Happy Crafting!

Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Houma.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #12426

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for writing this up!

More
2 years 9 months ago #12434

Thanks for this Carl. Great write up. Hopefully I can get back into crafting one of these days.

More
2 years 9 months ago #12436

Awesome work Carl. Not sure that I'll ever do it, but this is great!